VSFS:N_IFS_2 Intern. Financial Services - Course Information
N_IFS_2 International Financial Services 2University of Finance and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Ing. Ondřej Ptáček (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Ondřej Ptáček
Department of Finance - Departments - University of Finance and Administration
Contact Person: Ivana Plačková
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- N_IFS_2/cFPH: each odd Monday 17:30–18:14 S22, each odd Monday 18:15–19:00 S22, each odd Monday 19:15–19:59 S22, each odd Monday 20:00–20:45 S22, except Mon 13. 3. ; and Mon 20. 3. 17:30–19:00 S22, 19:15–20:45 S22, O. Ptáček
- N_IFS_1 International Financial Ser. 1
The requirement for the completion of this course is completion of the course N_IFS_1.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able to understand and explain functions of current global FX and money markets, to explain mechanism of exchange rate and interest rate determination and to introduce way of spot and term instruments pricing and using. Except this the purpose of the course is also to strengthen a knowledge of English language in both a vocabulary and an ability of its practical use in explanation of specific problem.
- Learning outcomes
- Deep understanding of financial market mechanism - basic understanding of asset and liability managemnt - FX and MM terminology - basic product - how to used them from risk management point of view - INCOTERMS - P/L and Balance sheet managements - types of intruments
- 1. Wrap up of the winter course. Key products of the financial system for non-financial customers 2. Deep dive into Foreign exchange market and Money Market. Spot, Forward, Futures, Options. Deposits, corporate desk 3. Methods of the international settlement through banks I. Nostro, vostro accounts. SWIFT. 4. Methods of international settlement through banks II. Value dating. Back office – tasks, activities. 5. Transport documents used in international trade I. The meaning of open account payment term. Specimen bill of lading. 6. Transport documents used in international trade II. The function of a bill of lading. The different types of bill of lading. 7. Incoterms. The purpose of Incoterms. The 14 Incoterms. 8. Short-term finance for exports. The definition. An overview of the short-term facilities available for Exporters. 9. Medium and Long-term finance for exports. Introduction. The type of products – forfaiting, leasing. 10. Documentary credits for imports. The risk, which a bank runs when it issues a documentary credit. How to reduce and issuing risk 11. Actual development on the financial market. Euro countries. CZK market. 12. Summing up the semester
- required literature
- Kabelík K. Banking Regulation. Praha: ČBA, 2014. 219 s. ISBN 978-80-260-7334-5
- Eiteman, D. K., Stonehill, A. I., Moffett, M. H.: Multinational Business Finance, Prentice Hall, 2010.
- recommended literature
- Witzany, J.: International Financial Markets. Praha: Oeconomica, 2010.
- Fialová, H., Fiala, J.: The Concise Dictionary of Economic Terms. Praha: A plus, 2008.
- Teaching methods
- Teaching takes the form / lectures / seminars / workshops / full-time study / group consultations are managed in the form of combined study. Minimum mandatory attendance at seminars / workshops in full-time studies is 75%, the controlled group consultations in combined form 50%. Students who fail to meet the mandatory level of participation may be given during the semester additional study obligations (to the extent that will demonstrate academic achievement and acquired competencies necessary for successful completion of course).
- Assessment methods
- For fulfilling requirements: Final test in written form;attendance. Written test is composed of approximately 30 to 40 questions, both open and closed questions can appear. It will take about an hour and a half (90 minutes. Questions are based on the course materials and topics covered by lectures, both theoretical and practical knowledge will be integral part of the final test. Minimum of 60% correct answers is required to pass the test.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 hodin KS/semestr.
- Enrolment Statistics (Summer 2023, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.vsfs.cz/course/vsfs/summer2023/N_IFS_2