VSFS:B_AJ_6 English Language 6 - Course Information
B_AJ_6 English Language 6University of Finance and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: SoZk (examination).
- Mgr. Zuzana Šimonová (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Ivona Kuželíková
Department of Languages - Departments - University of Finance and Administration
Contact Person: Ivana Plačková
- B_AJ_5 English Language 5
The requirement for the completion of this course is completion of the course B_AJ_5.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- Mastering professional language and its practical use is the main objective of the course with a special focus on lexical and fraseological units in professional English, deeper fixing of grammar structures, comprehension of spoken language, both direct and recorded, communication in business environment and improvement in written English.
The key topics are time management, job interviews, teleconferencing and videoconferencing, changing plans and product journey.
The course objectives are valid for the part-time study programme as well.
- Learning outcomes
- After finishing the course successfully, students will be able:
- to form and use passive voice in all tenses
- to form and use relative clauses
- to form and use third conditional
- to use should with past infinitive
- to use terminology concerning business ethics, time and time management, stress and stress management, business across cultures
- Course content:
International Express - Intermediate: Units 8, 9, 10
1-2 IE-I Unit 8: Processes- Passives: Present Simple, Preset Continuous, Present Perfect Simple, Past Simple, will
3-4 IE-I Unit 8: Vocabulary - Product journey, Work skills - Time management
5-6 IE-I Unit 8: Functions - Checking uderstanding and clarifying, Review
7-8 BViU: Unit 41 - Business ethics, Unit 42 - Time and time management
9-10 IE-I Unit 9: The business of sport: Relative clauses
11-12 IE-I Unit 9: Vocabulary - Describing personal qualities at work, Work skills - Job interviews
13-14 IE-I Unit 9: Functions: Changing plans, Review
15-16 BViU: Unit 43 - Stress and stress management, Unit 45 - Business across cultures
17-18 IE-I Unit 10: Great partnerships: 3rd Conditional, should / should not have
19-20 IE-I Unit 10: Vocabulary - Changing carrers, -ing vs infinitive
21-22 IE-I Unit 10: Work skills - Teleconferencing and videoconferencing
23-24 IE-I Unit 10: Functions: Catching up, Review
- Course content:
- required literature
- HARDING, Keith. International Express Third Ed. Intermediate Student's book with Pocket book and DVD-ROM Pack, 2014. ISBN 978-0-521-53762-9
- MASCULL, Bill. Business Vocabulary in Use Intermediate SECOND EDITION, CUP, 2010, ISBN 978-0-521-74862-9
- recommended literature
- Náhradní obsah: English Grammar in Use, Third edition (with answers and CD-ROM), Raymond Murphy, CUP, ISBN 978 0 521 53762 9
- Teaching methods
- Seminars in full-time study; compulsory seminar participation is 75%.
- Assessment methods
OBLIGATORY PARTICIPATION IN LESSONS
The extent of obligatory participation in lessons has been stipulated as follows: 75% applies to full-time students.
In case of insufficient attendance between 75-40%, the assessment “-“ will be entered into the IS and the person concerned automatically loses one attempt to sit the test. The seminar attendance less than 40 % means that the student didn't meet the minimum required study obligations and he/she will be assessed as failed “---". In such a case the student will have to transfer the subject into the following term/academic year, and following the purchase of the necessary credits he/she will have again three attempts to pass the subject (to write the test).
STUDENTS WITH INDIVIDUAL STUDY PLAN
The students with the approved Individual Study Plan (ISP) are obliged to get in touch with their lecturer in three weeks’ time at the very latest since the beginning of the term in order to agree alternative ways to fulfil their study obligations due to optional attendance. In case the student verifiably neglects this obligation, he/she will be assessed as failed and the code of “---“ will be entered into the IS. The students who were given the status of ISP on the course of the running term are obliged to contact their assigned lecturer in 14 days at the very latest.
Reaching the result of minimum 60 points out of 100 points (maximum) is the precondition to sit for the oral part. The student is entitled to one regular attempt and he/she can do two resits to pass the written part of the final examination.
Note: The students who will be convicted of fundamental violation of the Study and Examination Code while writing the Credit Test (namely the forbidden use of mobile phones, spy pen cameras etc.) will automatically get the assessment “---“ (i.e. failed).
Student draws one of the twenty oral topics and fulfils given commuinication tasks.The student is entitled to one regular attempt and he/she can do two resits to pass the oral part of the final examination.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 hodin KS/semestr.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.vsfs.cz/course/vsfs/summer2023/B_AJ_6